Wednesday, December 24, 2008

God Bless It

" There are many things from which I might have derived good from which I have not profited, I dare say, Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas-time, when it comes round - apart from the veneration due to it's sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that - as a good time; a kind forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time of year I know of, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as of they were really fellow-passengers to the grave and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, though it has never put another scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe it has done me good and will do me good; And I say God bless it!

-Charles Dickens

No comments: